Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How To Pick the Right Pre-school For YOUR Child

 


It's been just over a year now since we moved our family and life from Fredericksburg to the hills of the blue ridge mountains just outside of Charlottesville, Virginia.  I never imagined a life outside of my dear Fredericksburg church family and friends.  And yet...here I am...living, learning, putting down roots, and growing...

I was musing this morning on the drive to my daughter's pre-school about the value of soil.  Why am I driving my daughter 25 minutes out into the mountains to go to pre-school?  Why not drive 20 minutes into town where my errands will likely take me most days?  Why?  Because of the value of the soil.  You see, this pre-school has the soil that I think my daughter will thrive in.  The teachers are warm and loving and genuinely love their job of caring for and teaching the little ones in their class.  The classroom has age appropriate centers with the daily schedule being clearly communicated verbally and through a visual schedule for all the kids to reference.  The room is full of opportunities but not overwhelming.  This is the right soil for my daughter.  Our lovely sweet pea who has been "too quiet" for her age has started to grow in ways we could not have imagined. 

So what about your child?  What makes the soil right for them?  I think this question is often forgotten in the rush to simply find somewhere.  I recently spoke to a Mom who saw racial diversity as the most important element in choosing her child's pre-school.  It is beautiful and fascinating to me how God has created each of us so uniquely and called our families as unique entities as well.  I'm curious about you.  What do you consider the most important elements for picking the right soil for your child's pre-school experience?

Photo Credit: mjtmail (tiggy) on Flickr Creative Commons

2 comments:

  1. My children are all homeschooled and it is definitely the right soil for them, they are thriving. I wish you all the best and hope that this school is the right soil for your daughter too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more that finding the right place to nurture our children mentally, emotionally and physically is so important. We too found it hard to pick a pre-school, but once we did it was fabulous!! All 5 of them went to the same place and it was so hard to leave there when the last one aged out.

    ReplyDelete